Friday, June 12, 2009

Friday, June 12 - Piece of Cake

A I board in Cinci, I decide to meet the pilots in an effort to calm my nerves. They were two very nie gentlemen, and were more than happy to show me the cockpit and how everything worked. They both had over 30,000 hours of flying time. They were pleased to show me their very cool dashboard lights, levers, buttons and pictures of their kids they kept in their pilot hats - Joey would have loved it. I felt so much better and they put my mind at ease.

Takeoff was a breeze - no pun intended, and Matthew was quite sweet and helpful offering his hand to squeeze, great words of encouragement and statistical facts about how safe flying was. The whole thing was a piece of cake.

In Atlanta, Dave (Woeste soccer coach extraordinnaire), Russ (photographer and videographer for the trip), Matthew and I ate dinner. Before we knew it, it was time to board and take off to SA. The flight from Atlanta to South Africa was 16 hours. I slept the entire way. This was no small feat as one had to be a contortionist just to sit in the very small space between the seats, let alone sleep there.

The landing was was awesome. I didn't even realize we were close to the ground and the pilot landed the huge craft like it was a feather. We then went on the mission trip of finding our luggage. Most everything came through OK, except for Matthew's guitar!!! Our worst nightmare. While we were waiting, however; we were amused and entertained by a beagle-sniffing drug hunter performing due dilligence by inspecting our bags. When he abruptly stopped and detected what he was trained to find in one of the boys' bags, I was a little worried. The customs officer conducted a thorough search of the luggage and found the dog's booty - beef jerky! We laughed in relief. Finally, after we found our luggage all the boxes of supplies were located and lo and behold, Matthew's guitar with it - oh joy! The case was a little worse for the wear, but that was it.


Matthew and I waiting for or luggage






















Our Cincinnati entourage after we got all our luggage



Got through customs - breeze. Found the Koens - excitement, disbelief, surreal. Airport was big, had a mall in it and bigger than life. Not like a European airport where things are on a small scale. Once we had the luggage, we all posed for a group photo.




Standing: Mary Kirk, Dan Richardson, Dave Woeste, Killian Richardson, Chris Richardson, Tyler Brun, Garret Listo, David Kisor (in red), Coach Carl Eifert, Tyler Eifert, Kylor Mackey, Logan Wells, Bryan Wellage, Hayden Menshouse, Jen Schlosser, Coach Terry, Paul Crockett and Joshua Koen.


Front Row: Alex Henn, Brad Zinnecker, Tyler Galley, Brendan Uetrecht, Corey Campbell, Mattie Koen (in black), Amy Crockett (in white), Matthew Pace, Janet Pace


Where are Carole Ryan and Mark Campbell? Taking the picture.




We took the luggage outside and sorted about 80 - 90 bags onto busses, trailers and rental cars. Matthew and I rode with Tina, Josh and Mattie to the hotel airport where we are staying for just one night. Did I mention it is cold yet? So cold you can see your breath.




When we landed it was dark - it's winter here - so not much to see. The highways have no streetlights, and everyone drives like they have a NASCAR. Once at our cozy hotel, we went into the 'restaurant' - a combination of an up north tavern with some English flair to it. English style drapes, paintings and candlesticks, but also rustic tables and chairs with an odd primitiveness to it. Did I mention it is cold? There is no heat in the buildings.






We had a fine home-cooked meal in the little tavern/cafeteria/continental breakfast type, up-north looking English influence room.
There was pizza for the kids who were thrilled. Looked so good, but decided to go for the native fair - minced meat. It was a wonderful reward. It tasted like a mixture of sloppy joes and stew. Fine ground beef with veggies, in a very good sauce. Excellent rice, fresh salad and beet root - which Tina hadn't had since she was a kid, that I had never had, and still haven't.





After dinner we got our room assignments. Matthew went back with the Koen's to Ohm (uncle) Freddie's and was so excited about it. Marnus had kindly given Matthew one of his jackets, since we forgot to pack one - did I mention it is cold? So I have a room to myself - good, but not great. Foreign country, foreign continent, foreigners and did I mention it's cold?


Marnus (long-time friend of Frik's and executive director for Bridge to Cross in Africa) then informed me that all rooms have an electric blanket. Thank you Jesus, because, did I mention that it's cold? Once in my room, I discover that there is no electric blanket. I have socks, sweat pants, t-shirt, hoodie, black running jacket on in bed with one sheet and four blankets. It's still cold. I did make some tea in a 'hotpot'. Just to hold the cup feels good, but I sure hope the tea is decaffineated. It doesn't say on the label - there was no label, they were just in a little baggie. But it's warming me up at least.


Tomorrow, we are getting up early. Russ and I are going to interview some of the soccer players to get their perspecitive on what they think they're in for. We're then it's on to the Apartheid museum. I'm preparing to be blown away. Getting sleepy now. Tea must be decaf.

No comments:

Post a Comment